Get rewarded for recycling your old appliances!
We make it easy. Let us pick up your old (working) refrigerator or freezer for recycling and get your reward!
- $50 Reward—Receive a $50 reward when you recycle a refrigerator or freezer.
- $25 Reward—Receive a $25 bonus if you also recycle an old (working) room air conditioner at the same time as your refrigerator or freezer pickup.
Click here or call 866.898.1901 to schedule a pickup.
A spare refrigerator or freezer in your basement or garage could be wasting up to 1,200 kWh of energy and nearly $100 in electric costs every year.* By recycling your old appliances, you’ll save energy and money.
The BGE Smart Energy Savers Program® and the Appliance Recycling Centers of America, Inc. have partnered to recycle unwanted refrigerators, freezers and room air conditioning units in the BGE service territory as a way to reduce energy consumption and reclaim usable materials from old appliances. Through this program, more than 95% of each appliance is recycled and properly disposed of, preventing it from entering a landfill.
Recycling helps reduce the need for new raw materials, such as steel, aluminum, copper, glass, and plastic. Recycling appliances leads to an enormous reduction in energy consumption, emissions of ozone depleting substances and greenhouse gases, and releases of PCBs, mercury, and used oil into the environment.
- You must be a BGE residential electric customer with a valid account number.
- You must own the refrigerator, freezer, and/or room air conditioner. The refrigerator and/or freezer must be 10 to 27 cubic feet.
- The $25 reward for recycling a room air conditioner is available only to customers recycling a refrigerator or freezer at the same time.
- Your appliance must be in working (cooling) condition.
- Your appliance will be picked up, at no charge, from the address listed on your billing account.
- The $50 and/or $25 rewards will be mailed to you within four weeks after pickup of your old appliance.
- Limit of two (2) large appliances (refrigerator and/or freezer) and two (2) room air conditioners per BGE residential household per year.
* Actual energy and cost savings will vary by equipment model and region. These estimates are conservative and based on national averages (www.energystar.gov).