Combined Heat and Power
BGE’s Combined Heat and Power (CHP) Program is currently accepting proposals for Combined Heat and Power projects. Incentives are awarded on a first-come first-serve basis based on completeness and quality of proposal. Please note that incentives are subject to funding availability and may require Commission approval.
- Operate your facility with efficient and clean energy.
- Lower energy costs.
- Receive incentives up to $2 million per project.
The BGE Smart Energy Savers Program® is seeking qualified projects as part of its Combined Heat and Power (CHP) Program, which provides incentives up to $2 million to industrial and commercial customers who install an onsite CHP system.
CHP is a clean and efficient approach to generate power and thermal energy from a single fuel source. Typical CHP systems:
- Are located in close proximity to the energy consumer’s building, campus or industrial processes.
- Provide at least a portion of a facility’s electrical load.
- Capture thermal energy from hot exhaust gases for use in space heating, cooling, domestic hot water, dehumidification and/or process heating.
- Improve a facility’s operational efficiency, cut energy costs and reduce emissions.
This program is open to all BGE nonresidential, industrial, commercial, government, institutional and nonprofit electric service customers (rate schedules G, GS, GL, P or T), regardless of your gas and/or electricity supplier. (To determine your rate schedule, look under the “Electric Details” section of your BGE bill.)
- Eligible CHP projects may be driven by either a reciprocating engine or a gas turbine and must operate at a minimum of 65% efficiency (Higher Heating Value) on an annual basis.
- All qualifying systems must not export electricity to the grid.
- All projects must be commissioned and operational by December 31, 2014.
All qualified projects are eligible to receive the following:
- Design incentive ($75/kW): Subsequent to signed commitment letter and acceptance of minimum requirements document.
- Installation incentive ($175/kW): Subsequent to commissioning of the CHP system and BGE inspection.
- Production incentive ($0.07/kWh for 18 months): Three payments subsequent to review of metering data at the end of the 6th, 12th and 18th months.
- Program Process Flowchart
- CHP Fact Sheet
- Proposer’s Conference PowerPoint
- October 1st Seminar PowerPoint
For more information or questions about the program, call 410.290.1202 or email Business@BGESmartEnergy.com.
Are you a CHP project developer or an engineering firm specializing in CHP? Submit your contact information and a brief description (30 words maximum!) of your firm’s capabilities to email@example.com and use the phrase “Services Offered” in the subject line. BGE will put you on the “CHP Resource List.”
To find a participating CHP engineering firm, contractor or project development firm click here.
Learn More About CHP