Get rewarded for recycling your old appliances!
We make it easy. Let us pick up your old (working) refrigerator or freezer for recycling and get your reward!
- $50 Reward—Receive a $50 reward when you recycle a refrigerator or freezer.
- $25 Reward—Receive a $25 bonus if you also recycle an old, working room air conditioner or dehumidifier at the same time as your refrigerator or freezer pickup.
New! Small Appliance Drop-offs
Don't have a refrigerator or freezer to recycle but want to recycle a room or window A/C unit or dehumidifier? Drop off your unit for recycling at the below location and receive a $25 reward per appliance!
When: Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:00 pm (closed on New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day).
Where: JACO Environmental – 9015 Junction Drive, Suite 1, Annapolis Junction, MD 20710
Curbside drop-offs will not be accepted. See eligibility section below for additional details.
A spare refrigerator or freezer in your basement or garage could be wasting up to 1,200 kWh of energy and nearly $100 in electric costs every year.* By recycling your old appliances, you’ll save energy and money.
The BGE Smart Energy Savers Program® and JACO Environmental have partnered to recycle unwanted refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers and room air conditioning units in the BGE service territory as a way to reduce energy consumption and reclaim usable materials from old appliances. Through this program, more than 95% of each appliance is recycled and properly disposed of, preventing it from entering a landfill.
Recycling helps reduce the need for new raw materials, such as steel, aluminum, copper, glass and plastic. Recycling appliances leads to an enormous reduction in energy consumption; emissions of ozone-depleting substances and greenhouse gases; and releases of PCBs, mercury, and used oil into the environment.
- You must be a BGE residential electric customer with a valid account number.
- Small appliance drop-offs require you have your account number or a copy of a recent BGE electric bill with you at the time of drop-off.
- You must own the refrigerator, freezer, dehumidifier or room air conditioner. The refrigerator and/or freezer must be 10 to 30 cubic feet.
- Your appliance must be in working condition.
- Small appliance drop-off facility will only accept room or window A/C units and dehumidifiers. Refrigerators or freezers will not be accepted.
- An adult age 18 or older must be present at the time of pick-up or drop-off.
- Your appliance will be picked up, at no charge, from the address listed on your billing account.
- There must be a clear and safe passage for unit removal. We cannot remove railings or move furniture in the home.
- The refrigerator, freezer or dehumidifier must be cleaned out, and room air conditioner must be removed from window prior to pick-up.
- Elevator access is required for any unit located above the second floor.
- The $50 and/or $25 rewards will be mailed to you within four to six weeks.
- Limit of two large appliances (refrigerator and/or freezer) and two small appliances (room air conditioners and/or dehumidifiers) per BGE residential household per year.
Renters and Landlords
If you are a renter or landlord applying for an appliance recycling reward, you may need to send in an additional form before you can receive your check, or you may need to use a different form altogether. Learn More.
* Actual energy and cost savings will vary by equipment model and region. These estimates are conservative and based on national averages (www.energystar.gov).