Get rewarded for recycling your old appliances!
We make it easy. Let us pick up your old (working) refrigerator or freezer for recycling and get your reward!
- $50 Reward—Receive a $50 reward when you recycle a refrigerator or freezer.
- $25 Reward—Receive a $25 bonus if you also recycle an old, working room air conditioner or dehumidifier at the same time as your refrigerator or freezer pickup.
A spare refrigerator or freezer in your basement or garage could be wasting up to 1,200 kWh of energy and nearly $100 in electric costs every year.* By recycling your old appliances, you’ll save energy and money.
The BGE Smart Energy Savers Program® and JACO Environmental have partnered to recycle unwanted refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers and room air conditioning units in the BGE service territory as a way to reduce energy consumption and reclaim usable materials from old appliances. Through this program, more than 95% of each appliance is recycled and properly disposed of, preventing it from entering a landfill.
Recycling helps reduce the need for new raw materials, such as steel, aluminum, copper, glass and plastic. Recycling appliances leads to an enormous reduction in energy consumption; emissions of ozone-depleting substances and greenhouse gases; and releases of PCBs, mercury, and used oil into the environment.
- You must be a BGE residential electric customer with a valid account number.
- You must own the refrigerator, freezer, dehumidifier or room air conditioner. The refrigerator and/or freezer must be 10 to 30 cubic feet.
- The $25 reward for recycling a room air conditioner or dehumidifier is available only to customers recycling a refrigerator or freezer at the same time.
- Your appliance must be in working condition.
- Your appliance will be picked up, at no charge, from the address listed on your billing account.
- An adult age 18 or older must be home in order to sign for the unit pickup.
- There must be a clear and safe passage for unit removal. We cannot remove railings or move furniture in the home.
- The refrigerator, freezer or dehumidifier must be cleaned out, and room air conditioner must be removed from window prior to pickup.
- Elevator access is required for any unit located above the second floor.
- The $50 and/or $25 rewards will be mailed to you within four weeks after pickup of your old appliance.
- Limit of two large appliances (refrigerator and/or freezer) and two small appliances (room air conditioners and/or dehumidifiers) per BGE residential household per year.
Renters and Landlords
If you are a renter or landlord applying for an appliance recycling reward, you may need to send in an additional form before you can receive your check, or you may need to use a different form altogether. Learn More.
* Actual energy and cost savings will vary by equipment model and region. These estimates are conservative and based on national averages (www.energystar.gov).