Do you have a room that’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter? No matter what you do to reduce your energy use, do your bills stay high? Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® offers a comprehensive, whole-house approach to improving your home’s energy efficiency, comfort and safety while helping to reduce your energy use by 10 to 20%.
Home Performance Energy Audit
The first step is scheduling a Home Performance Energy Audit. A certified Home Performance contractor will use state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment to perform a comprehensive home energy audit and determine how improvements throughout your home can work together to maximize energy efficiency and savings. Some of these tests may include:
- A blower door test that uses the combination of pressure and airflow measurements to determine your home’s air leakage, which contributes to higher energy costs.
- Thermographic camera tests that use infrared images to assess the effectiveness of your home’s insulation. Insulation directly impacts a home’s comfort and energy efficiency performance.
- Combustion and safety testing to detect carbon monoxide and natural gas leaks.
And if you have a specific issue that’s bothering you, like a bedroom that’s always too hot or too cold, your contractor will find out why.
In addition to the Home Performance Energy Audit, which costs just $100* (a $400 value) for BGE customers, some of the following simple energy-saving measures may be installed with your permission:
- 12 compact fluorescent lights (CFLs)
- A light-emitting diode (LED)
- Four faucet aerators
- Two efficient-flow showerheads—fixed mount or hand held
- Pipe insulation (installed on hot and cold pipes from water heater)
- Electric water heater tank wrap
Benefits resulting from your Home Performance Energy Audit can include the following:
- Potential energy use savings of 10 to 20%
- Fewer drafts and more comfortable rooms
- Work performed by specially trained contractors
- Third-party quality assurance to check that all work is done properly
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions
*The $100 offer is valid for homes up to 3,000 square feet with a single combustion appliance zone. Audits of larger homes or ones with multiple combustion appliance zones may cost more. Customers should discuss the cost with their selected Participating Contractor.
Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® Rebates
Rebates from $200 to $4,300 from the BGE Smart Energy Savers Program are available, based on approved measures.
|Air Sealing, Insulation Measures and Duct Sealing||Up to 50% of improvement cost, $2,000 maximum*|
|Heating & Air Conditioning Equipment Rebates||$200 to $1,800|
|Total Maximum Customer Rebate||$200 to $4,300|
*$2,500 maximum for projects that include Duct Sealing.
For more information on specific measures and rebates, click here.
Maximize Your Savings
- To take advantage of Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® rebates, you must work with a participating Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® contractor. Your contractor will help you determine the best improvements for your home and help you apply for Home Performance rebates. All customer rebates are paid after completion of a Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® job.
- If financing is needed, contact the Maryland Clean Energy Center for loans that can help cover the full cost of improvements.