Frequently Asked Questions
1. Am I eligible?
Small Business Energy Solutions is open to BGE business customers on rate schedules G and GS. To determine your rate schedule, look under the “Electric Details” section of your BGE distribution bill.
2. How do I participate?
- Make the call. Get started by calling the participating contractor assigned to your area. The contractor will visit your facility and conduct a detailed assessment of your energy use. The assessment is included as part of your BGE service, so there’s no additional cost to you!
- Review recommendations. You’ll receive a list of recommended energy-saving upgrades to lighting and/or refrigeration controls, noting the costs, available incentives and payback period.
- Make the upgrades. Have your participating contractor install the recommended energy-saving measures. Remember to ask if you’re eligible for our Small Business Energy Advance, which lets you pay your 30% of the cost over 12 monthly payments with no interest.
- Enjoy the savings. Watch your energy and maintenance cost savings accumulate over the lifetime of the installed products, leading to substantial long-term savings.
3. Do I have to use a specific contractor, or can I find my own?
To make it easy for customers to participate, we’ve identified preapproved contractors designated by geographic location:
4. How will my business benefit?
- Substantially reduced energy costs
- Savings up to 70% on the cost of energy efficiency measures
- Receive a quick return on your investment
- Increased employee morale and productivity
- Improved customer experiences
- Enhanced image as an energy-efficient business and environmental steward
5. What type of upgrades are available?
- Lighting Measures: Upgrade to LEDs, high-performance fixtures and high-efficiency fluorescent lighting. Replace exit signs with LED units. Install occupancy sensors and lighting controls.
- Refrigeration Measures: Install high-efficiency electronically regulated fan motors and controllers. Replace reach-in cooler lights with energy-efficient LEDs. Install vending machine controls.
- Additional Measures: Get an ecobee3 lite smart thermostat and professional installation—$229 value for just $69.