At BGE, safety is our top priority. As part of our commitment to safety, we’re closely monitoring developments related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and taking appropriate precautions to protect the health and safety of our customers, contractors and employees. At this time, scheduled appointments under the Small Business Energy Solutions Program will continue only with prior consent from the customer. Participating contractors will follow the Centers for Disease Control’s (CDC) recommended precautions. Please check back soon for updates.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Am I eligible?
Small Business Energy Solutions is open to BGE business customers on rate schedules G and GS. To determine your rate schedule, look under the “Electric Details” section of your BGE distribution bill.
2. How do I participate?
- Make the call. Get started by calling the participating contractor assigned to your area. The contractor will visit your facility and conduct a detailed assessment of your energy use. The assessment is included as part of your BGE service, so there’s no additional cost to you!
- Review recommendations. You’ll receive a list of recommended energy-saving upgrades to lighting and/or refrigeration controls, noting the costs, available incentives and payback period.
- Make the upgrades. Have your participating contractor install the recommended energy-saving measures. Remember to ask if you’re eligible for our Small Business Energy Advance, which lets you pay your 30% of the cost over 12 monthly payments with no interest.
- Enjoy the savings. Watch your energy and maintenance cost savings accumulate over the lifetime of the installed products, leading to substantial long-term savings.
3. Do I have to use a specific contractor, or can I find my own?
To make it easy for customers to participate, we’ve identified preapproved contractors designated by geographic location:
4. How will my business benefit?
- Substantially reduced energy costs
- Savings up to 70% on the cost of energy efficiency measures
- Receive a quick return on your investment
- Increased employee morale and productivity
- Improved customer experiences
- Enhanced image as an energy-efficient business and environmental steward
5. What type of upgrades are available?
- Lighting Measures: Upgrade to LEDs, high-performance fixtures and high-efficiency fluorescent lighting. Replace exit signs with LED units. Install occupancy sensors and lighting controls.
- Refrigeration Measures: Install high-efficiency electronically regulated fan motors and controllers. Replace reach-in cooler lights with energy-efficient LEDs. Install vending machine controls.
- Additional Measures: Get an ecobee3 lite smart thermostat and professional installation—$229 value for just $69.