Get rewarded for recycling your old appliances!
We make it easy. Let us pick up and haul away your old refrigerator or freezer for recycling, at no additional cost to you, and get rewarded!
Sign up or call 866.898.1901 to schedule a pickup.
- $50 Reward — Receive a $50 reward when you recycle an old, working refrigerator or freezer.
- $25 Reward — Receive a $25 bonus if you also recycle a working room air conditioner or dehumidifier at the same time as your refrigerator or freezer.
A spare refrigerator or freezer in your basement or garage could be wasting up to 1,200 kilowatt hours of energy and nearly $100 in electric costs every year.* Save yourself energy and money by scheduling your recycling pickup today.
Additionally, through this program 95% percent of each appliance is recycled. By removing these older units from the energy grid and properly recycling them, you’re not only helping to reduce energy demand, you’re also helping reduce:
- Ozone-depleting emissions
- Greenhouse gases
- Materials in landfills
- Toxic chemicals and used oil in the environment
- Demand for raw materials, such as steel, copper, aluminum, glass and plastic
Who is Eligible to Participate?
- You must be a BGE residential electric customer with a valid account number.
- You must own the refrigerator, freezer, dehumidifier or room air conditioner.
- The refrigerator and/or freezer must be 10 to 30 cubic feet.
- Your appliance must be in working condition.
- An adult age 18 or older must be present at the time of pick-up.
- Your appliance will be picked up, at no charge, from the address listed on your billing account.
- There must be a clear and safe passage for unit removal. We cannot remove railings or move furniture in the home.
- The refrigerator, freezer or dehumidifier must be cleaned out, and room air conditioner must be removed from window prior to pick-up.
- We are unable to accept any units with mold or mildew damage.
- Elevator access is required for any unit located above the second floor.
- The $50 and/or $25 rewards will be mailed to you within four to six weeks.
- Limit of three large units (refrigerator and/or freezer) and four small units (room air conditioners and/or dehumidifiers) per BGE residential household from 1/1/2018 through 12/31/2020.
Renters and Landlords
If you are a renter or landlord applying for an appliance recycling reward, you may need to send in an additional form before you can receive your check, or you may need to use a different form altogether. Learn More.
* Actual energy and cost savings will vary by equipment model and region. These estimates are conservative and based on national averages (www.energystar.gov).